Year 3 Miss Murkett
Welcome to Class 8
This half term our topic is ‘Extreme Earth’. We will be focusing on natural phenomena, such as volcanic eruptions and earthquakes, and looking at rocks and the Earth's composition.
In English, our end learning goals are:
Writing an exciting and engaging story within a familiar setting
- Within this we will be looking at using inverted commas, powerful descriptive language and creating believable characters.
- The spelling focus will be pluralising nouns using -s and -es correctly, changing verbs to adverbs using the suffix -ly and continually looking at common exception words.
- Our reading focus will be developing a love of reading, inferring a characters thoughts, feelings and motives, and beginning to use evidence to support our thoughts.
Writing instructions for surviving a natural emergency
- We will be using imperative verbs and ordinal conjunctions, with a focus on presentation and organisation, including bullet points.
- The spelling focus will be rules for adding er/est and ing/ed.
- Our reading focus will be considering how structure and presentation contribute to meaning and asking questions to clarify and extend understanding.
In Maths, our end learning goals are:
To solve and write our own place value riddles
To cater a party to set criteria within a specific budget
To do this we will be:
- Developing our understanding of place value with numbers up to 1000.
- Reason about the size of numbers using our place value knowledge.
- Work out 10 and 100 more and less than a given value up to 1000.
- Develop written methods for addition and subtraction using our place value knowledge to ensure accuracy
- Calculate using money and measures
In Science, our end learning goal is:
To create a working volcano
To do this we will be:
- Looking at rock types and how they are sorted.
- Investigating how fossils are made.
- Researching Mary Anning and her contributions to science.
- Investigating soil types and how it is formed.
I would like to thank you all in advance for your support with developing your children's responsibility for their own home learning. As usual home learning will be given out on a Friday to be completed by the following Thursday.
Weekly, pupils are expected to:
- read to an adult or older sibling,
- complete a short reading task based on in-class learning,
- practice their times tables
- Complete either a short English or maths task
If homework is not completed then pupils will be supervised to do so in their play and lunch time.
Dates for the diary:
Monday 18th September - Curriculum Launch Event 9-10am; all parents welcome